Kelly Leonard, RD
I am a Registered Dietitian (RD) with the American Dietetic Association (www.EatRight.org) and hold a Master’s of Science degree in Nutrition and Food Science. My approach to nutrition counseling is based on the latest scientific research coupled with a personalized approach in addressing the unique needs of each individual. The focus of my nutrition services is on wellness which means helping clients optimize their health and manage health issues through dietary and lifestyle changes in order to live a healthy and happy life.
My Philosophy Concerning Nutrition and Fitness
I don’t believe there is such a thing as a “bad” food. It all comes down to how often you eat certain foods and the serving size. Instead of focusing on foods you shouldn’t eat, it’s important to focus on nutritious foods that promote well-being and help prevent diseases, such as whole grain foods, fruits and veggies, dried beans, and many herbs and spices. A healthful diet can also include your favorite ‘junk’ food, such as ice cream…in moderation! Being active and exercising is just as important as eating right, and the goal is to achieve 30 minutes or more of activity every day. I encourage clients to incorporate dietary and fitness habits they can live with for the rest of their life. After all, a healthful lifestyle is something you do everyday of your life!
Individual Nutrition Counseling
- Disease Prevention and Management
- Diabetes: Type I, Type II, Gestational, Insulin-resistance
- Heart Disease: High Cholesterol and Hypertension
- Overweight and Obesity
- Metabolic Syndrome
Women’s Health Issues
- Managing Menopause Symptoms Naturally
- Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
- Thyroid Disorders
Gastrointestinal Health Issues
- GERD and Reflux
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases: Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, colon cancer
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Celiac Disease and other food allergies/intolerances
- Swallowing, Dysmotility or Malabsorption Issues
- Food Allergies and Intolerances: elimination diets
- Low-residue Diets: post-surgery
- Vegetarian Diets
- Post Gastric Bypass and Lap-Band nutrition
Focus on Wellness and Disease Prevention
- Attaining & Maintaining a Healthy Weight
- Controlling Blood Sugar Levels
- Gastrointestinal Tract Health
- Moving Towards a Plant-based Diet
Note: Many insurance plans will cover nutrition consultations with a registered dietitian when referred by a physician.
Special Services and Group Programs
Metabolic Testing with MedGem® Device
A scientific measurement of an individual’s metabolism using a technology called “indirect calorimetry”. Test results provide a solid basis for weight management by showing how many calories are burned at rest, which is known as Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR).
Design personal menus based on food preferences and health goals
• Identify appropriate exercises/activities to help you attain health goals
• Identify barriers, set goals and track progress
• Provide accountability and promote self-sufficiency
The ABCs of Weight Management Program
A six-week group program designed to help individuals achieve health goals, and learn a sensible and healthful approach to managing weight. Weekly 1 1/2-hour group meetings provide the support, knowledge and skills needed to succeed. Program includes a metabolic test and 1/2 hour private nutrition consult. Contact Kelly for class locations and schedule.
Do you need help creating nutritious and delicious meals? Or just looking for new recipes that promote optimal health? Kelly’s Cooking Classes focus on seasonal fruits and veggies, and a variety of cultural foods and spices. All recipes are quick, tasty and wonderfully healthy! Contact Kelly for upcoming dates and classes.
Cooking Parties, Lessons and Demonstrations
Host a lively, healthful cooking party where everyone gets involved, and everyone’s health benefits! Or how about private cooking lessons to help develop the skills and knowledge needed to prepare nutritious meals and snacks? Group cooking demonstrations are also available. Menus and recipes are designed to suit the season, the occasion, and the group’s taste buds. The perfect idea for a family reunion, birthday party, bridal shower, couples get-together, girls’ night out, holiday party, or any special occasion. Contact Kelly for information.
Nutrition & Wellness Lectures and Seminars
Please contact Kelly for prices and list of topics
• Appropriate for worksite wellness programs, team meetings, sports teams, faith-based groups, in-service lectures
• Topics, methods and educational materials are customized to meet the group’s needs and interests
For Appointments and Information:
- Call Longs Peak Family Practice at 303.772.5578 (Kelly sees patients at the practice on Thursdays)
- Visit www.Healthful-Lifestyle.com (more resources and private scheduling with Kelly)